The vehicle bill of sale is used to sell or purchase a vehicle guaranteeing and justifying the transmission of the vehicle. The purchase or sale of a car or other motor vehicle can imply generous sums of money. That’s why it is important to write a contract with a legal basis validating it. If you are going to sell a car, remember that you must prepare all the necessary documentation. This will include the circulation permit, technical sheet, manual, ITV certificate, proof of taxes payments and insurance in force, if applicable.
Vehicle bill of sale form
The vehicle bill of sale form can be used by individuals seeking to formalize their sale adjusted to the legal requirements. The document will include all important data such as:
- Seller and buyer details.
- Vehicle features.
- The price and payment terms
- The necessary documentation: Technical data sheet, circulation permit, ITV, tax and fees payment…
- Liability: How you will cope with possible vehicle defects, assuring you that the contract is effective.
It is essential to inform the purchaser of any defects or problems of the vehicle before the sale proceeds. You can even request the inspection by a specialist or expert.
Tips for the purchase of a vehicle
If you are going to sell your vehicle
- Never deliver the vehicle without having the vehicle bill of sale (if it is between individuals) or the invoice (if you are selling it to a company). Be also sure to collect a photocopy of the identity document in Spain of the buyer (DNI/CIF, if they are companies).
- It is important to indicate in the contract the exact time of the transaction. You will avoid possible fines until the change of ownership is completed.
- Instruct the purchaser to send you a copy of the circulation permit within 15 days, stating that it is already in your name.
If you are going to buy your vehicle
- Get an inspection by a mechanic or professional. You can make this inspection at the ITV facilities.
- Make a request of the vehicle history at the traffic vehicle registration office. This way you ensure that the vehicle is unencumbered.
- Test the vehicle. Although it is obvious, remember to try the car in all types of asphalt and roads. Especially if it is a second-hand purchase.
Once you have bought the car, make the ownership transmission effective:
- If you have purchased the car in a sales company, the company will usually take care of the process.
- If you have purchased the vehicle from a private individual, remember that you must keep a copy of the purchase agreement or vehicle bill of sale signed by both of you. Keep also a photocopy of the seller’s identity document, the request for ownership change of the vehicle signed by buyer and the documentation of the vehicle. This includes the ITV, permit of circulation and receipt of the municipal tax paid corresponding to the year prior to the procedure. For the ownership transmission r the payment of the fees and all the necessary documentation will be requested in the “Registro de Vehículos de la Dirección General de Tráfico”.
Vehicle sale form content
- Identification of the parties: Purchaser and vendor identification, as well as of their representatives if necessary.
- Features of the vehicle: Model, registration and date of enrollment, mileage, last revision.
- Vehicle condition: It will specify the exterior veneer and paint, upholstery and interior, motor…
- Accessories: Radio, rims, extra wheels, etc.
- Price and payment terms.
- Documentation: Circulation permit and the technical sheet, ITV in force, insurance in force (if so), instruction manual (if any), maintenance documents and invoices.
- Extra clauses: Liability in case of hidden breakdowns, judicial jurisdiction in case of controversy, etc.